My perception of time is definitely damaged, unless that’s just a natural consequences of doing nothing except work, internet, repeat, without any sort of creative outlet to punctuate the cycle. (I’m hoping it’s the second thing.)
!!! WARNING: YEARLY BIRTHDAY ANGST POST AHEAD !!!
The list of things I wanted to have accomplished by this year (written last year):
- Be elsewhere. <— moving into a different living space later today, still living in Montana which is not exactly what I want but the new living space is a definite improvement.
- Get a different job. <— I quit my job.
- Or make significant progress towards a certificate/degree that will qualify me for a different job. <— I enrolled in online school.
- Figure out this writing thing. <— not. even. close.
- Get moar tattoos. <— nope, but I pierced my other eyebrow (because symmetry).
- Develop a sense of personal style. <— working on it.
- Stop being so fucked-up all the time and accept that sometimes good things can happen to me and that’s okay, it’s not some kind of cosmic mistake that will have to balance itself out later a thousandfold. <— working on that also.
This past year I:
- Nearly obliterated my hair. Blue, black, blue again, blue/purple/green with black underneath, mostly purple and blue, bleached to orange-yellow and gave up and put dark blue over it again, more bleach, sorta blondish, pale pink/coral and finally platinum. Lots of breakage, lots of deep conditioning, lots of protein treatments, lots of time on hair dye forums. (#girling #vanity)
- Quit my toxic, stress-inducing job at the beginning of July, haven’t gotten a new one yet. I’m only starting to get anxious/desperate and worst case scenario, I know it’s easy to pick up a new job once you’re resigned to working in call center hell until you have a degree that you hope to god will result in a real job.
- Enrolled in online school to pursue my associates degree in accounting. It was that or IT because those are the 2 career paths that seem to be the right combination of safe and interesting, accounting won out in a coin-flip I can justify in a number ways, but it was basically a coin-flip.
- Writing. Very, very little writing, which I attribute—and I acknowledge this could be more stupid excuse than fact—to my toxic, stress-inducing job which was eating the majority of my braincycles on and off the clock. Since I’ve left, I at least feel more creative and more inclined to write, and this is a vast improvement over probably all of the previous year.
- Discovered the following music: Blue Stahli, Celldweller, White Town.
- Low volume of new artists but I am still buying new albums from artists I’m forever in love with (Aesthetic Perfection, Assemblage 23, Faderhead, Julien-K, Marilyn Manson (shut up), Orgy (also shut up), Solar Fake).
- I am in a loving, mutually-supportive relationship with an amazing person who makes me want to be better than I am.
By this time next year, I want to:
- Be elsewhere, more settled. Specifically, a more permanent living space with my significant other that we can turn into a home featuring our strange aesthetic preferences. Also kitties.
- Learn to keep a reasonable boundary between my braincycles and my job because my braincycles are precious and jobs are just for money.
- Still be working towards an accounting degree and not dropped out of online school again at all.
- Write write write write write. :D
- Moar tattoos.
- Continue to cultivate personal style (because vanity).
*Title is an Aesthetic Perfection reference no one is going to get; I have been listening to that song on repeat for days.